Kombucha tea (KT) and scoby* (see note)
Tea (black organic preferred)*
Sugar (raw organic preferred)*
Filtered water (free of chlorine)
Large open-mouthed glass vessel*
Calico or fine mesh cheesecloth and band (to cover vessels)*
* Can be purchased together as a kit from Grateful Harvest, or obtain Scoby/KT from a friend.
Note: 10-20 % KT( kombucha tea) required in your vessel at start of ferment.
- How much KT (kombucha tea) you have to start with and what size your brewing vessel is.
- How much fresh brewed tea you will need to make up your brew
- Prepare fresh tea, equipment and workspace, insuring good hygiene. Sterilise the brew vessel (avoid chlorine and detergent residues)
- Place scoby and KT (kombucha tea) in vessel, add cooled fresh tea. Cover with calico and place in warm, well ventilated space, away from direct sunlight.
- Ferment can take from between 7-21 days. Taste and harvest/bottle kombucha when ready (reserving scoby and enough KT for your next batch)
- Refrigerate kombucha and enjoy!